MINT-L4@RWTH pursues different projects in teacher education as well as in academic teaching in the STEM fields. Some prominent projects and research programmes are:
Development of school teaching materials and CPD courses for teachers:
The Physics practical courses offer 4- to 12-fold experiment set-ups for physics school courses.
Also, the Physics practical courses lend learning equipment on optics, which tackles typical optical illusions and which includes a camera obscura.
- PhD projects at Didactics of Physics and Engineering: On research topics to SFB 917 „Nanoswitches“, and on the Standard Model of particle physics, starting in April 2013.
Study of learning and teaching processes:
Enhancing study performance in the STEM fields:
- In co-operation with SelfAssessment at RWTH, from WS 2013/2014 onwards: Special information day for freshmen in mathematics, computer science, chemistry and physics teacher studies
- MINT-L4@RWTH will take part in the design of the upcoming practical semester for teacher students in STEM fields.
- Conceptional revision of the computer science bridge course
Acquisition of STEM students:
- In co-operation with MINT-EC: Application in a Germany-wide funding programme for aspiring STEM teachers; the programme addresses school pupils and accompanies them for 2 years, preparing them for teacher studies in a STEM subject (contact Prof. H. Heinke)
- In co-operation with with the RWTH Student Advice Centre: Separate consulting services as well as probationary studies for STEM teacher studies will be integrated into the programmes of the student advice centre.