You can find some generell Information about studying at the RWTH Aachen here.
Please note that in the German system being a PhD student not necessarily implies taking course work. You might also be able to write your thesis in English.
From the section incomings international exchange students and lecturers can learn about research and teaching of the School of Biology at the RWTH Aachen University and also find descriptions of projects available to work in.
Furthermore, here you can gain an overview of the various institutions regarding nature and environmental protection in the city of Aachen and its neighbourhood. Finally, a collection of internet links to other scientific facilities and initiatives at and in cooperation with RWTH Aachen University, respectively, complete this section.
UROP International is designed for students from North American Universities who wish to gain research experience by conducting research projects at RWTH Aachen University. It takes place during the summer months each year, between May and the end of July.
UROP International at RWTH Aachen Aachen consists of three elements:
- the program’s core, a research internship carried out in a research facility or lab at RWTH Aachen University, supervised by excellent academic staff,
- research-related field trips, an intensive German language course, an intercultural training
- leisure time activities to introduce students to German science, history and culture and get them in contact with German and international students.
During the first two weeks, students will follow an intensive German language course of 20 hrs / week as well as an introduction to research (4 hrs /week). At the same time, the course is an introduction to German culture that familiarizes students with life in Germany through a hands-on approach. Weeks 3 – 10 are settled around a research internship in a department of RWTH Aachen University. Students will continue to learn German twice a week while conducting their internship. Cultural and leisure time activities offered throughout the programme ensure the students’ integration and exposure to German culture and the international community on campus. Upon successful completion of the programme, students receive a certificate, stating the scope and content of their research as well as of the German language course.
- Bachelor students from North American universities who are interested in conducting a UROP project at RWTH can find further information under Information for students.
- Professors, post-docs, researchers and doctoral students at RWTH Aachen University who would like to gain highly-qualified support for their research projects can find further information under Information for Supervisors.
- North American Universities or Research facilities who are interested in cooperating with RWTH Aachen University within the frame of UROP can find further information under Information for partner institutions.